Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Thursday, April 13, 2006

New Spring

April 24, 2005

"Spring Cleaning"

T
his morning I came to a startling reality. I’ve lived nearly 31 years of my life and I have virtually nothing to show for it. I spent the last three hours weeding through boxes I’d left tucked away in the darkest corners of my parents’ house. It wasn’t even a daunting task (Thank God for TLC and Clean Sweep). After the clouds of dust settled, I was left with three piles: Keep, Trash, and Give Away. A slight smile crept to my face when I discovered a few pictures and notes stuck to the damp pages of Norton’s English Anthology – memories of old friends I haven’t kept in touch with and slightly obsessive college relationships. As I was loading up the van to head to Good Will, it hit me. One box. That’s it. All I have accumulated of any significance in this lifetime can fit into one box. Neatly stacked in this box are 3 yearbooks chronicling a decade of legwarmers and big bangs, a copy of Rondo Capricioso – the one and only song Mrs. Murphy did not let me abandon until I turned haphazard notes into a piano masterpiece, and a few pictures reminding me of days when I did not have to lay down on my bed to button my pants.

It is quite a sobering reality when you think of it. My friends have family photo albums and scrapbooks of their toddlers (which I have begrudgingly oohed and ahhed over countless times) and framed wedding invitations. The cold, hard truth of my life is this: I, Ashli Hepler, have choreographed my life so that I have absolutely nothing to lose.

The previous posting was published approximately 1 year ago on my Xanga site. A lot has happened in a year. I've enjoyed over 20 pedicures, purchased a plasma television and a stylish leather Lazy-Boy, learned to casually and effectively use the word "fiddin'" in a sentence, and become a single mother to a 16 year-old black girl. My life has changed significantly. The most significant change is that -- despite all my efforts, all my choreography -- I've learned that I have a heck of a lot to lose. Oh well, I never could dance anyway.
Left to Right:
Jacquella (Corlissa's oldest sister)
Me a.k.a "White Momma"
Corlissa


1 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Blogger AJLutz said...

Ash~

You may have thought you did not have much to show for your life, but I (and I venture to guess many others as well) will beg to differ. Here are ten of the ways you impacted me. . .

10. hairstylist extrodonaire: hmmm, I think you started at about age 6 or 7 right, cutting potatoes out of my hair remember? Thankfully you got better at it as time went on.
9. HAND-Me-DOWN-CLOTHES
8. Fashion Advice (which you well know I desperately need)
7. Much needed help in ganging up on Mom & Dad & even Anne through the years.
6. Always having a 'connection' to hook me up w/. That's how I got my last job!
5. Breaking Mom & Dad in as parents so that Anne & I could get away with more. (I think after you, they were too tired to fight with us!) HA!
4. Someone to help teach me how to climb on the roof, and better yet, how to tan up there!
3. Making a GOOD impression on the teachers at NWHS so that when they all said "Oh, Ashli's sister" I knew it was NOT a bad thing! =)
2. Introducing me to the wonderful world of Broadway Music!
1. Loaning me your ear/support and even your CAR when I hated Bethel so much! It really meant a lot to me then & still now! (Hey, at least I married the guy I was always driving home to see!)

I love you much and don't tell you often enough. I'm here for you always.

Love~
Alysia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home