Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Call Me George

Contrary to what you may have heard, I did not give up blogging for Lent. Beleve it or not, my laptop has been restored to working order. So, I've got this lovely new house with space for a fine office and working office equipment; however, evidently no one in the freaking universe offers DSL service in my area. Connecting throug a modem just seems so pre-historic. My neighborhood butts up against Copperfield which has to be one of the highest per-capita income neighborhoods in Elkhart County. You would think someone would want to tap our gold mine. Come on Verizon. Aren't you always looking to make a quick buck?

Okay I have officially decided that my life is one big Seinfeld episode (only it doesn't seem so funny sometimes). Here's the problem, though: If I were casting my episode, I would want to be Kramer. After all, what does he have to do except show up and be funny (sounds like type-cating to me). Instead, I am evidently stuck playig George in this dang episode. Yes, George is bald, but beieve it or not, I still have my hair (Interesting sidenote: Did you know that if your doctor writes a prescription for a "wig" it is denied by insurance. Insurance companies will only pay for a wig if your doctor prescribes a "full cranial prosthesis").

Why do I feel like George do you ask? Well... let me tell you about my string of bad luck. Cancer. Need I say more? Laptop 1 breaks down. My car breaks down. Corlissa's car breaksdown. Stuck in God-forsaken Rancho Cucamonga all summer. Back from Cali. Feeling better. Definitely skinnier, but can't afford to shop because of the dang cancer. My car breaks down again. Corlissa's car breaks down again. Almost set my small apartment on fire. Laptop 2 breaks down. Kevin fixes laptop 2 (Thank God my friend Jen knows how to pick a husband. Sorry I called you a computer geek in high school, Kevin). More cancer. Stuck in lots of hospital beds. Corlissa's car breaks down again (This time it will cost $1,470 to fix, so we wil definitely not be fixing it). We are now down to 1 car, but... DO NOT FRET! I have now started losing vision in my right eye and can hardly see to drive anyway.

Although I still wish I could just play Kramer, the silver lining is that I've got great friends and family who are the only things making life as George bearable!

3 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Kristin Baker said...

I knew there was a reason I always liked George the best! I've missed your voice, your tone, and how it brightens everyone's day around you. It's great to at least read your voice again. I'm so sorry I haven't been able to help. My husband is sort of in crisis mode right now, and if I want Lauren to still have a daddy, I have to sort of play guard dog for the family for a while. He did it for me when my parents got divorced, so it's the least I can do! I'm missing and praying like crazy for you. I hope you can make it to the theatre banquet, but, if not, totally understandable. The kids nominated Corlissa for an award! (shhh!)

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so good to read you humor again!! I miss you and can't wait to see you again. Love ya!!!
Love,
Danna

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli...... am so glad to "hear" your voice! You've really been on my mind. You are one amazing lady. In the same circumstance I'm not sure I could pull off a sense of humor.....but thank you for yours!! It reassures me, and I think that dang cancer needs to be running scared by now!!!! I still miss my "daily dose" of Ashli"ism's"! Thinking of you often......!!
Love,
Patrice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home