Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Worst-Case Scenario

The official results of my yesterday's PET Scan should have reached Dr. Vokes sometime today, but I have not heard any word on these results. I did receive a call from Maureen, the surgical oncology nurse, who informed me that the tumor board met and discussed my case yesterday. The board decided that my tumor is located in too tricky of a position to surgically remove and has decided that surgery is off the table. Instead, they are planning to give me more radiation coupled with chemotherapy. The theory being that my cancer is growing in an enviornment where nothing should be able to grow (7,600 rads of radiation should kill all living cells). Although they cannot confirm that growth is cancer rather than scar tissue from my first round of radiation, there is no way to determine what the mass is so they have to treat me as if it's the worst-case scenario.

There is still a slight possiblity that they could decide that it is scar tissue and give me some time before moving forward with chemo/radiation. That is contigent upon some good PET Scan results and securing Loma Linda's radiation records. We are having an incredibly difficult time getting these records from California.

So... at this point there is nothing definitive, but a likely course of action. Of course, both radiation and chemo. can be administered at Goshen, so I am going to request that they transfer the protocol to Dr. Wheeler so that I can be treated there. Pray that this works out as I do not want to be away from my friends and family for 8 weeks again (even though Chicago is much closer, it is still the same to me).

3 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli,
We will be praying specifically that God will give your doctors the wisdom to decipher your next PET scan accurately. I'll be on my knees for you dear!
Love,
Danna

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli-
My thoughts are with you.......
It sounds like you are in really, really good hands.
Prayers your way.

Mary Jo

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

I'm so anxious to hear from you today (Friday). I don't want to bother you, though, so I haven't called. I'll check your blog again in the morning since I know your late night/early morning habits, but since you don't have internet access, I'm not sure you'll have the chance! We love you so much, Ashli. Karl and D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home