Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Side Notes for Select Readers

To those of you above the age of 18 who have no affiliation with Elkhart Memorial High School:

If you have been reading these posts and the subsequent comments, you have probably noticed that a number of my students have been commenting on this blogsite. You might be reading statements like "Mrs. Hepler (clearly they still do not understand that I am not married to my father) is the best teacher ever!" or "I never liked any class until yours." or even over-the-top claims like "You are the reason I've stayed in school."

While I deeply appreciate these heart-felt sentiments, some of you might be wondering why, if all this is true, have I never received a teacher-of-the-year award. Or perhaps be asking yourselves, "Why has no one written to Oprah or Regis and Kelly to take her on the 'Making Dreams Come True' episode?" These are all logical and relevant questions.

The simple truth is this: These same students who wax eloquence about how much they love me and miss me and can't wait to see me are the same students that have cussed me out for waking them up from their peaceful, serene dreams. I do not let them sleep because they are probably dreaming about going on Elimidate with 50 Cent, and I maintain that what I have to say is probably more interesting than anything 50 Cent might say (although I have not been shot, so I guess I lack some serious street credibility). Anyway... I don't want all of you to foolishly believe that I am some amazing teacher and start writing mass mailings to the Department of Education. In all likelihood, some kid is sitting in Memorial's cafeteria talking about what a b*$# I am and how I probably don't even have cancer and am faking it so that I can start my summer vacation early.

I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder! (Trust me.... I'm even beginning to miss Brandon & Jarvis......that should tell you something!)

4 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Brad said...

Hey there girlfriend! what is up!? oh my god u should have seen becky's but today it was SOOO huge in those pants! (ok ok, enough acting queer) So anywho its b-rad of the g1 streets. we're bigger than the nine's now. So anywho schools ok-ish. Me Dan and Michel are still little jackasses. But what Michel doesnt know is that me and dan have an alliance against michel! coarse what dan doesnt know is that im sitting back and watching them destroy eachother then i will swoop in and destroy them BOTH! MHUAHAAHAHAHA!!! ok... So learning about the Scottsbourogh case was really cool. The sub is ok. kinda old and wrinkly, definitly a change from you. Wondering, u read my note thing? yeah... cuz ... umm... i... hmm... i had... suger? NO i mean... cafiene that day! right so dont blame me i was out of my normal state of mind... heh, right. anywho write to ya later. (btw u should check out xanga.com and myspace.com there better blogs and easier too, and if u have one tell me)B-RAD OUT!

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger crock said...

Ashli, you are too funny, and you don't give yourself enough credit. You are an amazing teacher. After our days at Bethel, my perception of teachers changed quite a bit.
All those nimrod education majors (like people from small towns named afer liquor)- you are the ONLY one I would actually want teaching my child. I've told so many people that, and don't know if I've ever told you, so now you know.
You deserve to be on Oprah - more than just in the audience!
love you. Crock <><

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Kristin Baker said...

You mean Oprah hasn't called yet? That's it!! I'm calling Stedmand . . .
P.S. Lunch is definitely too quiet. It's like that eery, echoey silence right before the psycho guy in the hockey mask jumps out and kills everyone . . . uh, does Mark play hockey? (jk)

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home