Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Still Nothing to Report

For all of you who are logging in religiously to figure out what is going on with me. I still don't know! This is perhaps the most frustrating thing about cancer. I had another appiontment at UCH yesterday (Thanks to Jen who drove me all the way to Chicago in bad weather and had no companionship all day long because I slept virtually every moment of our trip). I met with Dr. Yamini, the neurosurgeon who they thought might be the one to do my biopsy (if, in fact, a biopsy were decided upon). I met with Dr. Yamini because they canceled my apppointments with the surgeons on Friday as they were ENT surgeons and ultimately I would probably need a neurosurgeon.

I had an MRI at 8:00 am and met with Dr. Yamini around 10:00. The hope was that my morning MRI results would be uploaded in the computer so that he could access them during our appiotnment. No such luck. He elected to review my past scans using the CD-Roms I keep with me in my medical records. He couldn't open those either. Instead, he reviewed the narrative reports of my scans. After reading them, he decided that perhaps an ENT surgeon should be the one to do my biopsy and decided he would need to discuss my case with Dr. Stenson (the same surgeon whom I had an appointment with on Friday but it was canceled in order for me to meet with him).

I still have not heard the results of my PET Scan; however, it must not show any metastases as that would probably give them some definitive answer as to whether or not this is cancer or scar tissue and they still seem to be proceeding like they have no clue what this really is.

Further complicating matters, I talked with Carol, a fellow ACC survivor (I think she has had ACC for over 20 years) about my case and where we're at now. Carol really discouraged chemo for the general reason that chemo does not appear to have much effect on slow-growing cancers and encouraged me to question the doctors intensely before considering to any re-radiation as usually the side effects are much more severe the second time around.

I guess ultimately I need prayers for wisdom in my decision making and a general peace about the next step.

Sorry. I sure wish I could let you all know more :(

3 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss ya...
J

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger AJLutz said...

To quote my good friend Dora in Finding Nemo. . .

"Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, just keep SWIMMING, SWIMMING, SWIMMING!!!" Hang in there, they can't procrastinate forever!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger crock said...

I know you may not read this for a bit, but it was so good to talk to you last night.

I just heard the Bebo Norman song, "I Will Lift My Eyes" and completely thought of you.

Love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home