Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Alysia Pretty Much Covered It

If you read Alysia's last entry for me, then you've pretty much got the update. I definitely want to reiterate that I definitely feel more comfortable working with the University of Chicago (UCH) after Tuesday's appointment.

Dr. Stenson (She one of the surgeons on my team at UCH) explained that I've been the topic of discussion at almost every meeting and that they've really been discussing and working on the best plan/course of action for me. Dr. Haraf (the radiation oncologist on my team) says he will not put me through another round of radiation unless we can prove with certainty that the "hot spots" on my PET Scan is new cancer growth. The only two options for proof are (1) biopsying (they are looking for a safe/effective way to resect a good amount of tissue from different areas and are not certain whether they need to go through my ear or my temporal lobe (the area of your brain just behind your ear). (2) They can monitor the growth using frequent MRIs and other scans. This would mean scanning every two months and monitoring changes. I'm already close to the two-month point, so that is the reason they've scheduled another apopintment in late March.

Right now they've completely changed my medication and Dr. Stenson is hoping that the news meds give me some relief. One of the major changes is that I am now on a pain killer that is designed to alleviate pain in nerve endings. I am only taking one a day right now, but I will gradually move up to taking the full dose of 3 a day. They are very hopeful that this medication will relieve some of the discomfort in my face. I already think it is working a little with only 1 a day; however, it is making me very tired.

Please continue to pray for the doctors (and me) as we make important decisions about the next course of action. My spirits are definitely a little better after Tuesday's visit and after reading all your comments to the last few blogs. I really appreciate those of you who continue to check in and comment (thanks especially to you Kimberly T. It means a lot that you checked and are praying).

I'll try to keep everyone posted or have Alysia post when I can't.

4 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you.
J

 
At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli,
Wow, I'm so glad that you finally got some answers! We've been praying for you like crazy. It's comforting to know that these doctors are really submersing themselves in your case. Thank you so much for the update. As always, we'll be thinking about you and praying for you.
Love,
Danna

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Judypatooote said...

Hi Ashli,
I pray your pain will ease....and happy that you seemed pleased with the new doctors....as Lori say's Cancer Sucks, and she is so right....Keep your spirits high... Love to you, from Lori's mom, judy

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli-

Thinking of you and hoping that the new medication is doing what they hoped.......
You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. It's good that you have positive feelings about the team at Uof Chicago.
Hang in there- when you get to feeling better we're going to have to get together and compare our cancers!
mary jo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home