Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Finally Some Info.

So... we found out in an interesting manner what UCH's plan of attack is. After my meeting with Dr. Yamini on Monday, I was fully expecting to hear back from Dr. Vokes concerning his plan of attack. I didn't hear anything until late on Wednesday night when I received a phone call from Dr. Yamini's nurse. She wanted me to come to Chicago for another appointment on Thursday. When I told her it was simply too late of notice (she called me at close to 5:00 PM on Wednesday) She responded by telling me that it was really essential that I come because they wanted me to book a hotel room and they were planning to do a biopsy of my brain on Friday morning.

I laughed and told her there was no way they were biopsying my brain on Friday morning when Dr. Yamini didn't even think he was the surgeon who should be handling my case on Monday. Perhaps brain biopsies are a daily procedure for them, but not for the patient.

After turning down that appointment, I finally started getting some phone calls from Dr. Vokes people. Dr. Chung, his assistant called to share my PET results with me and explained that they really needed the biopsy because there was no other way to determine if the activity showing up on the PET Scan is scar tissue or cancer. However, Dr. Vokes did agree that even a biopsy would not be definitive and there is probably not a way to conclusively determine whether there is any cancerous cell growing in my head. I still have a number of questions for Dr. Vokes, so I scheduled another consultation with him on the 13th. Lori will be going with me and we will be preparing a list of questions to ask about their recommendations for treatment. I may go ahead and schedule the biopsy and just cancel if we decide not to proceed with it.

Meanwhile, I will be meeting with another surgeon, Dr. Leonetti to get a second opinion about whether or not I am a candidate for surgical resection. From everything we are hearing, surgery is simply not an option for me at this time.

I could really use prayer in a number of areas:

1. My spirit is really deflating. It is hard to keep a positive attitude and stay optimistic through all of this.
2. Wisdom to make the right decision. The biopsy itself is pretty risky due to the amount of radiation I've had on my head. Furthermore, they are recommending a second round of radiation which often has devastating consequences to the body coupled with chemo. Deciding on the right course of treatment is crucial at this stage.
3. My health. I've pretty much been alternating between sleeping and vomiting. I need a reprieve from that vicious cycle. I feel like I'm back in California (except that I don't have the lovely and entertaining Jeremy & Kristin by my side).

I'll try to keep updating as much as possible. Still no progress on the laptop (save for the fact that my man Kevin Edwards is working on it).

4 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ashli.
It's Cary. I haven't logged in to your blog in too long. I apologize for that. You have been through so much in the last 2 months, well make that almost 12 months - I don't know how you do it all. You never cease to amaze me. I wish I were up there to help you with your new house and to help get you to appointments and to be a moral supporter. I want to be those things even from afar - I'm praying fervently for you. Miss you
Cary

 
At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli,
I have to tell you that you are one of the strongest most inspiring people that I have ever met. I have no doubt that God will direct you in your decision for treatment. You have SO MANY people praying for you. One of my favorite verses that I find comforting is Matthew 11:28, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Just give it all to God and He will take care of you. We love you!!!
Danna

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

I love you so much. Sorry we're missing each other. I can't wait for you to come over and me massage your head again!!! I want to hear how you're doing firsthand (you know Karl never says enough :)) For you, I might even be part of the "Jackass II" screening!

 
At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli

Just read your blog. My wife Claudette has ACC as you know and was told last year by MD Anderson in Texas that surgery was not an option. We then went to the University of Pittsburgh and met with Dr. Kassam (neurosurgeon) and Dr. Snyderman (ENT surgeon). They decided that they could do minimally invasive surgery through the nose - it was very successful. You can find their bio's on the web under http://www.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/faculty/kassam.html

We will pray for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home