Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Loop

And now for a brief vocabulary quiz.....

In which sentence is the term "the loop" correctly used?

A. The Loop is a new show on Fox that will likely be cancelled before I begin radiation.
B. Some tourists get suckered into visiting The Loop, a busy area of Chicago, only to find that its shopping is definitely inferior to that of the Gold Coast.
C. I'm having a hard time keeping you all in the loop because my doctors keep changing the dang treatment plan every day!
D. All of the above.

If you chose the letter D, you are correct!

So, folks, I'm going to make this update brief simply because, if the past is any predictor of the present, the game-plan will change again tomorrow morning and writing at 2:45 in the morning will be all for naught.

Dr. Wheeler (Radiation Oncologist at Center for Cancer Care in Goshen) called today to tell me that he has been discussing my treatment plan with Dr. Thornton (he'll be my doctor in Bloomington). Perhaps there's some unwritten rule that you are ultimately classified as "pathetic" when there are more doctors programmed into your cell phone directory than friends?

Anyway... the docs have decided to work together to tailor a radiation program that will be the most aggressive and effective. There are distinct benefits to each center's radiation. At Goshen, the radiation will be directed by computer, and Dr. Wheeler will be sure that the radiation is hitting the center of the tumor. Proton radiation in Bloomington is just some super-powered radiation that is going to wipe this thing out. They have decided that I will now undergo a combination of IMRT radiation and Proton radiation. Under this plan, I will stay in Goshen for 5 weeks and receive radiation two times a day, two hours apart. Each session will be preceded by a shot that should protect my salivary glands so that my teeth don't fall out (Trust me... I'm cool with it. The prospects of losing a strip of hair and all me teeth screams white trash wonderland). Then, they will ship me off to Bloomington to enjoy a three-week course of Proton Radiation to blast all the cancerous cells that remain.

I'm scheduled for a consult in Bloomington on Monday. They are officially in charge of setting the program. My PET Scan will be administered sometime next week and I will probably start radiation on May 1st. I'm already counting the weeks. This means I will be finishing radiation at Goshen the first week of June and heading to Bloomington from June 5-23. Not my first choice. I plan to ask the doctors if the treatment will be compromised if we flip-flop the plan so that I begin my radiation in Bloomington and am home the last 5 weeks. I would also settle for a plan where we alternate two weeks Goshen/1 week Bloomington. Obviously I don't want to be gone the first three weeks of summer when Corlissa and all of my closest friends are out of school and here to drive my tumor-infested tail around to all these appointments. Furthermore, my birthday falls during this second course of treatment, and for those of you who have gotten a free pass for forgetting in the past, you are hereby warned: This birthday is going to be big. If you all start saving $1 a day, you will have each saved $49 by my birthday (not factoring in interest-bearing checking or savings). To date, 39 people have officially commented on my blog. I anticipate there are at least another 11 who have read and not commented. That is 50 blog readers at $49 each. Essentially, I'm expecting a minimum of $2,500 worth of presents this year. I will be accepting gift cards and cash (ignore those who tell you both are too impersonal.... we're talking about birthday earnings that could account for approximately 5% of the $50,000 of medial bills I will probably be receiving in the next calendar year!)

Okay... that's it for tonight. I'm sure I'll have more to talk about tomorrow. I've got another exciting trip planned to the dentist (I was already there for 2 1/2 hours today) followed by a trip to the Endocrinologist. If you can't reach me via cell, just assume I'm sitting in some doctor's office and text me. I have become quite the sneaky text messenger. They'll never know I'm breaking the "no cellular device within 100 feet of the premises" policy.

9 Comments:

At 5:41 AM, Blogger LoriCloud said...

First...you really do have control issues.

Second...you have obviously been taking lessons from Megan's book of Birthday etiquette.

Third...i'm too tired to spellcheck etiquette.

Fourth...thinking about you constantly.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Brad said...

Well ashli if ur going to be treated in goshen then i can drive you! (even tho gas is a b****) We'll go to subway or something and pick up some cool stuff like that chicken with teh sauce and teh CHEESE! (simply orgasmic) Coarse if i drive a bit "aggresive" im sorry. PLUS i dont have my license yet. so as long as u dont mind switching seats when i get pulled over we're good. And hey about that gift idea... im poor and cheap with my money. when my mother's birthday rolls around i get her a paper crown from BK and a peice of crumpled paper that says "happy birthda" i leave out the "y" to save some money on ink.

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi miss.h it waz nice 2 c u in class 2day and i think u look a lil'bit diff. not cuz of the cancer but cuz of the fact ur livin ur life like it is ur last which is kool cuz we cant all do that cuz we think we r invenceable
even if we were to die 2marrow then i am sure that the people closest 2 us would deni not doing the things that we could have 4 that person u know what i mean???
but yeah we all miss and love u hope 2 see u again and i dont know about that whole b-day thing cuz i mean i am in a bit of a financial sitch ya know well yeah gotta run mom is naggin at me so i guess i gotta go :( lotz of luv
*~loren~*

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Miss Hepler! OMG, I'm so glad you stopped in during English today! Seriously, you have no idea how happy I was...though it may not have seemed like it, I really was...just too tired & lazy to get my booty off my chair to give ya' a hug, I guess. Thanx for doing that, it was a huge relief to see you face-to-face.
I TOTALLY agree w/ you that that dumb show "The Loop" is gonna cancel soon...it only took me two seconds of watching it to realize...LoL.
Oh, and that Dr. Thornton dude you were talkin' about...I'm kinda' wondering if he used to work as a biology teacher @ Memorial, cuz that's the name of my supposed-to-be biology teacher...he only taught us for ONE STINKIN' DAY and that was the second day of school...now he has this really crappy replacement with a weird voice and a mullet teaching us! Oh, and when he was teaching, he INSISTED we called him DR. THORNTON...so, if you happen to ask him if he used to teach there, and he says yes, tell him what a good teacher he is compared to Mrs. Hill, okay? Okay.

Thanx again for stopping in during English!

Ttyl.

Missi

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Ashli Hepler said...

Okay.... this comment is for Minndi. I'm perplexed. I can't open up your blog and I can't figure out who you are? You signed Erin, but I can't figure out the Minndi. If I knew who you were for sure, I just might give you my cell number!

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You probably can't open my blog for the simple fact that I don't actually have one... the name is mostly the generic one that I use on computer accounts-- it's weird enough that it's not usually taken, and it is a character from something I'm writing.

I'm Erin from your G4 class...

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Ashli Hepler said...

Erin,
The mystery is finally solved. You were like the only person on here I couldn't figure out. I should have known...a touch of intelligence and wit should have been enough to clue me in... I must have glazed over the back comment.
Anyway...so my birthday is June 11, but I'm pretty sure I will be in California at the time. I'm starting my first session of radiation on June 5. I go Monday-Friday and could possibly come home on the weekend depending upon the time of my appointment/cost of airfare. I don't think I can make this happen more than once or twice, but I am desperate to be home graduation weekend. I'm checking into that as we speak. I'll be back at school on Wednedsday. Obviously not with G4, but look me up.

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see. I'll just have to get something before you leave, then. ^.^

(By the way.. sorry it took me so long to see you responded..)

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home