Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Another Update (Finally)

I have been receiving numerous complaints for not updating more frequently. I guess I haven't been updating because there is really very little to say. Of course, everyone wants to know if the radiation was successful. I do not even have an MRI scheduled until October so it will be awhile before we know anything.

I am back teaching at Memorial (full time). I have a sub who works with me in my classroom everyday... that is helping to alleviate some of the daily stresses of teaching. Additionally, I have a pretty flexible workday schedule. I'm also trying to get some hours in shadowing our school social worker for my MSW. I elected to drop my IUSB evening classes, so I'm actually pretty free during the weeks (save for volleyball).

Honestly, it has been very hard coming back to school. I am not myself and the mere fact is making things quite depressing. I know that my students are not getting the typical Ms. Hepler, but I guess I have to cut myself some slack in this arena.

The bottom line is that it is really hard to function when there is little joy left in your life.

5 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli,
I am in your MSW cohort, and I have been keeping up on your blog. I truly think that you made the right decision in forgoing your classes this semester. Even I who have no health issues am overwhelmed at the thought of working 60 hours a week (40+20 from the practicum)and taking two of the most difficult courses of the program.
I hope that you are able to find some time to relax and recover from your difficult summer and treatment.
Best of luck to you! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli,
How dare people complain about anything you do!
I have been pondering "joy" this morning. In my first year of teaching, a student gave me a felt banner. It said: Life itself can't give me joy unless I really will it. Life just gives me time and space; it's up to me to fill it.
So, you have this time with these students, and I trust you will use it wisely, until the joy comes back.
I am no one to talk. I spent 4 horrible days in July waiting for the second mammogram, and everytime I found myself being anxious, I thought how it was just a tiny fraction of what you are enduring.
We leave tomorrow, and I will be checking your blog while in Chile and Argentina. I love you, Jane

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how about a sunset at Weko Beach? Taps? A little picnic? We'll talk. It's one of my favorite places to reflect, smile and rest.

Love, Candice

 
At 2:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know of a thought that will bring a smile to your face and give you a second of joy. You are not in California anymore. Love and miss you,
Jer

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli,

I'm not sure if you remember me, but I suppose that is besides the point. You were my yearbook advisor my senior year (2001) and I want you to know that I truly respected you and appreciated you stepping in after Adam Homo left. I was reading the article in the Elkhart Truth this morning, and please know you are in my prayers! Remember, "prayer is the nerve that moves the hand of God." Please keep an upbeat attitude (as best as possible!) and know that YOU WILL BEAT THIS! You're a strong gal with a big heart, and God knows this. Take care...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home