Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Getting Results

I'm not even sure why I'm writing this. Since I've been updating so seldomly, most of you have probably stopped checking the blog altogether.

I wanted to update everyone on some medical results. I've had a series of bloodwork done and met with an endocrinologist. Essentially, all of my hormones are currently normal so there is no evident effect on my pituitary gland. My doctor did say that sometimes it takes awhile for the pituitary to show such impact, so we will check again in 6 months. In a way, this is good news. On the other hand, it would be nice to have some explanation to my skin going haywire and shedding hair like a dog.

I also had my first MRI last Thursday. I forgot how excruciating such tests are. I was in that stinking machine for over an hour. Good thing I'm not too claustraphobic or I would have had a panic attack. I just kept thinking, "Hey... at least you're not in California with your head bolted to a table." Dr. Wheeler's (my radiation oncologist at Goshen who will be in charge of all of my follow-up care) nurse called today to say that Dr. Wheeler reviewed the results and didn't see any apparent cancer in the MRI. He did say there was some significant scarring due to the radiation, though. I got this information via voicemail, so I want to ask some quesitons and verify what I heard, but this is obviously great news!

I'll try to be better about updating.... but maybe you shouldn't hold your breath or anything.

16 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - I am still checking your blog and am so excited to see a new posting and it be good news at that! YEA! I am so happy for you!Kendall

 
At 5:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli,
I always hold my breath, especially when it comes to your posts! They're so good. I love this news. It makes me feel tingly. I'm interested in hearing more when you know more. k,loveyou,bye
Cary :)

 
At 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to also say that I like your posts so much that your blogsite is my homepage at work.:) Does that make me a stalker?
Cary

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please continue to update...there are many people still interested & this may be their only way to get communication from you!

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please continue to update...there are many people still interested & this may be their only way to get communication from you!

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

Why in the world did you put that information so nonchalantly? Is it because the verdict isn't completely in from Dr. Wheeler? All I know is all the stuff Iheard pre radiation from medical people (and you) was that there was NO WAY the cancer would be "gone," just smaller, or at least not active. Am I not "hearing" you correctly? This is amazing!!! Stop ignoring me...we need to talk. I left two messages on your cell today. Love you.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See how wrong you can be. Lots of people still checking the blog. Sounds like great news to me. Call or email me sometime.

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I check your blog every single day.
Keep the good news coming.
J

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Judypatooote said...

Hi Ashli;
It's me Judy, Lori's mom, and I do check up on you also....I'm so happy about your news....Keep the Faith Girl.....

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger AJLutz said...

Must we go back to the "Do you believe in Miracles" blog I posted during your trip to Cali? You KNOW it is AMAZING that there is not any cancer showing up on that scan. . .it is LITERALLY answered prayer!!! You will still have a long road ahead, but this just helped you jump ahead a few miles on that road.

Alysia

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hepler!!! Danielle and I just heard the news, we are so sorry to hear that you have been sick. We've been trying to contact you but unfortunately we only have an old cell phone number. Keep updating; I plan to follow you and your "adventures". Sincerely,
Lindsay Schmuhl

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger crock said...

I have to say, I'm glad I haven't had much internet access, and got to hear this FANTASTIC news from you! It is nice reading it though. I'm overjoyed at your news!!! Can't wait to see you two weeks!

Love,
Kelly

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised but I am so very thankful! And because there is not a minute at school to look up, "here's to ya, Ashli".
Candice

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Ashli, that is AMAZING news!!!! I agree with your sister about God answering miracles. This is definately a huge answer to prayer. Congratulations!!!! Oh, and by the way, I still check your blog everyday. I can't wait to see you!
Love,
Danna

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Ashli, that is AMAZING news!!!! I agree with your sister about God answering miracles. This is definately a huge answer to prayer. Congratulations!!!! Oh, and by the way, I still check your blog everyday. I can't wait to see you!
Love,
Danna

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli -

I'm sooooo very excited to hear your news! May the Almighty Creator of the Universe continue to touch your body in miraculous ways.

So, you don't miss California at all? =) I'm actually in Chicago right now, recruiting for the University, and I'm enjoying being out of Cali for awhile. I was with my family this past week in Elkhart and was able to spend a few hours at Bethel. What fun!

Know that you are still in my thoughts and I do check your website on a regular basis.

Much love and blessings -

Andrea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home