Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Overwhelmed

I am so overwhelmed by amazing people in my life that I am writing this entry with the express purpose of raving about the following groups of people:

My Family
You guys are amazing! I cannot tell you how much it meant to Corlissa (and by extension to me) that you dropped everything on Saturday to come see her off to prom. I want everyone to know that my baby sister and her husband drove 4 hours from Indy just to take some pictures and then turned around and went home. Not only is Anne a gifted photographer, she's also on top of things. She's already developed the photos and they're in the mail (I'll get some posted ASAP). Of course, it meant just as much that you were there, Mom and Alysia. I know you both had other things to do. I hope you all understand the power of the message you communicated to Ru -- that she is a part of this family and a priority. Finally, Karl & Danielle, you guys rock! It was so nice to take pictures at the house rather than my apartment. You opened your home up to my entire family on a Saturday afternoon and even let my sister take your family pictures off the mantle of the fireplace. I hope you both know that, in my heart of hearts, I know that we are family -- I have no need or compulsion to even attach an insignificant word like "extended."

Awesome Adolescents of Elkhart Memorial Student Government
Mrs. Rost, Mrs. Hartman, and I had arranged to meet on Friday to tie up some loose ends before prom. We elected the nail salon as our meeting venue. Imagine my surprise when I went to pay for my manicure and pedicure only to find that it had been "taken care of." At first, I was convinced that Mrs. Rost and Mrs. Hartman were behind this. Mrs. Hartman then explained to me that, instead, these amazing kids in student government had concocted this top-secret plan to turn me into a prom princess, but wait .... the fun doesn't stop there folks! On Saturday, I went to get my hair done. When I went to pay, there was a gift certificate waiting at the counter. By this point, I was totally and completely shocked (I wonder if I'm the only person to ever cry at the counter of Borics out of pure joy?)! These kids orchestrated the whole thing -- from birth, to budget, to fruition. I am going to slap the next person who says adolescents are self-absorbed. Seriously guys...I don't know that I can ever express in words what that meant to me. I went to prom and, I must tell you, I looked pretty dang good! I know that must sound cocky, but those of you who know me know that I broke up with my mirror back in high school (primarily because I think he is a bold-faced liar) and usually walk out the door on the hope and prayer that I don't have something hanging out of my nose. I hope that you all know that your gift was more than hands and hair and nails. You made me feel truly amazing on Saturday night!

I love you all!

5 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger Kristin Baker said...

That is so sweet of them! I wait to see pictures. Lauren would be jealous if she knew you got to go to "the ball" too. ( I did some prom hair over the weekend and she was mad she couldn't go, so I curled her hair and we went to Chuck E Cheese . . .)

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger crock said...

was so happy to hear your "daytime" voice and not middle of the night voice today!!! :)
I can't wait to see prom pictures - I got choked up reading about what your students did for you. I know I was way to selfish at that age and it says a lot about those kids to do that for you!
talk to you soon!

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to prom pictures. Hope you're in one of them. Haven't seen you for ages. Sounds like you have some great students. Just maybe, you've had something to do with that.

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel so honored to be in the family section. You know we feel the same about you. Our lives are so much richer because of you and Corlissa...and her fun and crazy friends :)

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home