Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Do You Believe in Miracles?

I know you are all waiting for my sister to update her blog regarding her Cali trip. Unfortunately, you are stuck with me, Alysia, the not as creative middle sister. Ashli is probably somewhere in the high sky right now on her way to Hawaii. . .not a care in the world. . .ok, so if any of you know my sister, you know that is probably the FARTHEST thing from the truth. In reality, probably one of two things is happening right now: A) She is fast asleep catching up on the much needed rest, enjoying that new pillow purchase or B) She is diligently working on her laptop composing letters to the Department of Insurance explaining why she is the perfect candidate to push a government proposal making health insurance practices/procedures easier on patients.

Last night our family went to sleep knowing that our parents would likely be using a credit card to charge a hefty $9600 to Loma Linda's facility so that Ashli could get her fittings done and get treatment underway. In Ashli's last post she commented she wasn't putting God in a box just yet. If she had, He clearly took that as a challenge & burst forth from that box tearing it to shreds. At 2:00 am I woke up and laid in bed thinking about the whole pre-authorization deal. The more I thought about it, the more livid I became. Why should MY FAMILY have to pay for some screw up that some Anthem employee made?? So, being a woman of action, I got online, looked up Ashli's account information and composed the entire conversation that I would have with dear Stephanie in pre-authorization this morning. This morning on my way to work I called Ashli's new case manager who promptly put in a call to Stephanie. (Miracle #1) Then I put in a call to Stephanie. Then I checked in with Loma Linda and realized that THEY had put in a call to Stephanie. In my emailings with Alane @ LL I mentioned my frustrations etc. At around noon today IN time, sweet Alane emailed me again and said that "THE PAPERWORK IS IN!!!" (Miracle #2) No credit card was needed!! No form to complete for Ashli to basically "sign her life away" in case Anthem fell through! I emailed Alane telling her that she was an answer to prayer today. . .she emailed the reply below:

"I was praying last night & I just let God know that I didn't want to have to collect the money from your sister & to please help me figure something out. He sure helped. I also extended an invitation to Ashli in regards to attending my church one Sunday. . ." (Miracle #3)

I then heard from Ashli about 20 minutes later on my lunch calling to tell me the good news! She said that her fittings had gone off perfectly. She said that it was crucial that she remain absolutely still during her fittings b/c any miscalculations in those could mess up the target for her radiation treatments. She said it was a VERY strange sensation and that she just felt a peace and did not move ONE MUSCLE the entire time! The doctors said it was one of the best, clearest CT Scans they ever did! (Miracle #4) She got out in plenty of time and when we spoke she was in transit to the airport to hit the skies.

I then got an email from one of Ashli's contacts at the school mentioning that she had seen Doug & he asked "if Ashli was checking her email, becuase he had some good news for her!" (I believe Doug is the school's lawyer) Clearly many people were involved in getting this ball rolling. Poor Stephanie probably was just SO sick of hearing about Ashli Hepler that she dug through the pile on her desk, dusted it off and decided to get half a dozen people off her back in one shot! No matter who all was involved, one things is clear. . .God orchestrated the whole, crazy scheme!

I'll ask you all one more time, Do YOU believe in miracles?

11 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Blogger Brad said...

Thats great to hear! Things are looking great for Ashli! im really ecstatic (vocab word) for her! Thanks a bunch for the update Alysia... You single? ask your sis how to get a hold of me... *Wink*Wink* haha.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

Thanks, Alysia. Wow. Nothing more to say...wow (oh, and yes, I do, too).

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such great news! I know she appreciates your help very much! Kendall

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger AJLutz said...

B-Rad

Well, I'm happily married for almost 5 years, but thanks for the flattery anyway, lol. However, I do have a highschool aged sister-in-law who is absolutely the sweetest, most fun girl on earth. . .so maybe we could hook you up yet. . .wink*wink* right back at cha!

Alysia

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Kristin Baker said...

Awesome news! I am so glad that you can truly rest your mind now as well as your body on this vacation. I am always amazed at God's timing. Enjoy the sun, Ashli!

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's absolutely amazing! God is great, right? ^.^

Hope you're enjoying the Hawaiian front while we all attempt to pull through school.

Alysia- Don't mind Brad. That's basically "hello" in his language..

Erin =(^.^)=

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do believe in Miracles! You are one gutzy lady. Just enjoy Hawaii. We'll think of you at the Senior Banquet luau on Sunday night. I offered to do the hula since I have my "Hula Masters", but for some reason they didn't want a fat old lady for entertainment. Imagine that!

If you meet "Counsin Gandhi" over there, tell him "Hi!" You will be in our hearts and prayers. Mrs. K.

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alysia-
Great news! Who says you aren't the writer Ashli is. You gave us all the info in style. When this is over, I think there is a book in this blog. Maybe you [Aslhi] can become the millionaire who can afford your tastes.
You've taught me how to use text message. I still don't see the point of it in most instances, tho.

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli...I was listening to Pulse FM this morning on my way to work and the song "How Great is My God" came on...I love that song! Your sister's post came to my mind immediately. GOD IS AWESOME! Some people would say everything that is working out is a coincidence. How wrong they are. This is definitely God at work.
Hope you and Corlissa are both enjoying Hawaii...sorry I was sick Monday and couldn't wish Corlissa a good trip; I'm sure you're both having a fantastic time. Remember to bring back some sunshine (I mistyped sonshine at first, but maybe that wasn't really a mistake!)

Gayle

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Thanks for the update Alysia. God is AMAZING!!! Hey anybody know any atheists? Get them to read this blog and they won't be for long!!
Danna

 
At 1:47 AM, Blogger Ashli Hepler said...

Patrice,
You're not speaking out of turn at all. I've thought of our struggles as parallel myself actually. It is one of the things that unites us. Normally I'd be doing the "final countdown" right now. I'd know the minutes until we could cart-wheel in the hall because the lockers are empty. It is sobering that I won't be there for the final silence. It is sobering that I won't be around at all this summer. I have to find a way to get home for graduation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home