Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Cali or Bust!

Hi guys! I'm sitting in Glendora, California right now. Our flight was on-time and we had no problems at all in the air. Corlissa had never been on a plane, but she didn't even seem that nervous. About 10 minutes into the flight, we were both out. I slept for the first three hours and then worked on my laptop. Corlissa slept virtually the entire flight.

Jeremy and Kristin picked us up at LAX and now we're back at their place. When we touched down, I had a voicemail waiting from Stephanie, the Anthem enigma. She basically ssid that "since I've chosen to switch facilities" (those were her words and I don't think I was imagining the tone...maybe she's tired of having 5 different people call her about my case. Well... maybe I'm tired of paying $85/month in premiums + $250/month for office copays for health insurance that is supposed to be there for me when I need it. After all, I am paying for this. It's not like I'm asking you're getting approval to throw me a surprise bon voyage party for my trip to Californai) and it so happens that this new facility I've "chosen" codes the treatment differently, Anthem will not transfer the treatment to a new facility. In essence, they must start the pre-determination paperwork over from scratch and she needed me to be aware that they are still experiencing the same 4-6 week delay that we were dealing with the first time. Well... brace yourself for even more phone calls, Miss Stephanie. Maybe when the dang paper gets signed, you can get back to your other cases.

Anyhow...I called Mary Ellen and asked her to arrange for me to meet with financial services. I've just made up my mind that I'm not leaving without this appointment. It just doesn't make sense. I've had this procedure done at Goshen. They sent me a statement and asked me to verify that I've received all of the servies listed. They were: CT Scan, Mask, MRI, PET Scan, etc. The total cost of services rendered was a little over $5,400. That's not a second mortgage or anything. Maybe they'll let me pay them in two installments and I will hope and pray Anthem can reiumburse me directly after this is approved if we document that the visit has been paid in full. Maybe financial services at LLUMC has done this before.

Right now I'm using Jeremy's laptop to update you all. I know everyone wants to know what's going on. I brought my laptop and wireless card along for the trip. I'm hoping to find a way to connect both here tonight (after I've met with the doctor) and also in Hawaii. I seriously doubt you will hear from me tomorrow, though. We are pushing the time limits as it is. We are leaving in about 5 minutes to head toward Loma Linda. Jeremy thinks we've got plenty of time to spare. After my appointment, we're going to check into a hotel about 1 mile from the hospital and then go site-seeing in Rancho Cucamonga and possible a couple other places. Corlissa gets to sleep in during my appointment tomrrow and then we'll head straight to LAX to catch our flight to Honolulu (we arrive about 8:00 pm HI time).

Keep checking in!

6 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger Brad said...

Well i hope they x-fer the papers soon. I hate hope these companies jack people around. they dont see us as people but as cash. I saw that you removed my tag... darn it... but hey, i still love you.

~Bradley

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ashli!
Well, I hope you have a wonderful time in Hawaii. It is SO beautiful there. I bet Corlissa is gonna have a blast. You just relax, shop, and lay out in the sun and DO NOT worry about the idiots at Anthem. It will all get worked out. You have a lot of people who love you and are willing to help you in any way they can. You deserve some R&R!! Oh, my uncle called finally. He said that it's best to take the Cantron straight if you can handle it. If not, mix it in a strong flavored juice (cranberry). Well, I'll keep reading and getting updates. Have a great time!
Love,
Danna

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

I commented to you on my blog--Karl read what you said too and said, "That was good." We love you and will keep checking. I'm jealous you're with my bro and future sis!

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Kristin Baker said...

Ashley,

Enjoy your time in HI. We miss you. I am so sorry that Anthem in back-pedalling once again. We'll be praying. Let us know if there's anything else we should do.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Ashli Hepler said...

B-Rad, The other guy who was helping added some stuff to the blog for me to track just my site. I think it is working because it isn't hidden from the readers. It's not that big of a deal. I told him to go ahead and ditch the tag if he could, because I don't want your darn anarchy sign on my site and have all these people thinking I have the government or something. The last thing I need is to get stopped by security in LAX :) You're still in the loop on getting this blog updated ad looking good the second I get back to school!

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Ashli Hepler said...

Jenna,
Guess what? J-Lug was not only one time, but waiting for me in baggage claim. Got me to and from appointments promptly (although I had one or two flashbacks of the scene in "Clueless" where Cher and Dee accidentally get onto the freeway and almost die). I'm not even going back to school until someone posts on here and assures me that the DOL crates are straightened up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home