Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Home Sweet Home (for two whole weeks)

Made it back home safe and sound. Souvenirs brought back: A load of cheap Hawaiin t-shirts, one right hemisphere of face visibly swollen to twice it's normal size (a combination of the weather and flying), more steroid-induced side effects (had to taper back on for the trip; tapering back off again starting tomorrow), a possible curse cast upon me by the Coalition of Waikiki Street Vendors (see full story below), a forged friendship with Dryden Mitchell, lead singer of Alien Ant Farm, whose bags were also lost by Northwest Airlines (it's good to know they don't discriminate) coupled with a standing offer to attend a concert as a special guest, and over 350 digital photos (a few of which could do the EMHS Art Department or perhaps even VanderLende/Cloud proud) which will be uploaded to Snapfish.com for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Street Vendor Full Story:...Be on the lookout for a possible curse cast upon Ashli C. Hepler by the Coalition of Waikiki Street Vendors after they refused to return two bathing suits purchased for Corlissa and Keesha despite the fact that the woman had given me her word that, if i put it on my Visa, my money would be refunded immediately if I returned the suits. After I simultaneously named and she refuted every plausible problem I might encounter upon returning the suits (I've been all over the third-world, nice try, folks), I charged them on my Visa. When I went to return them, I was told "No refunds under any circumstances. Who told you this? Only exchange." I asked for the person who sold me the suits. She got on the phone and said she never told me such a thing. (out with being a part of "ohana", in with being called a bold-faced liar). I asked for the manager. No manager until Monday morning9I called Visa. They would suspend the transaction if the company would verify the authorization code on the receipt. I called the number of the company listed on the receipt. Not a working number. So, I proceeded to walk up and down a crowded Seaside Street, stopping every tourist and giving them strict instructions not to make a purhcase from this vendor. I interrupted every sales transaction. A woman and her 4 daughters walked away in the middle of a purachase (I think the nerve damage to my face coupled with the fact that steroids make you drip sweat like a Gatorade commerical coupled with the fact that I've become quite comfortable behaving like a stark-raving lunatic actually came in handy this time) I'm convinced at least 10 major purchases were lost because of me. Crocker was actually embarrassed enough to walk away (if you know her, you know what I mean). Well... the world is a better place. There are now three Hawaiians who know how to use the "return" function on the Visa machine. I will prevail! Who do these people think they are dealing with?

Anyway...I'm back home... Only a few hours before I have to start booking flights, leasing apartments, packing boxes, and preparing to move across the country for the summer. No pressure, huh?

Thanks in advance to everyone who is working behind the scenes to facilitate the move. A huge shout-out to the Lisa Lashbrooke, whose first-hand knowledge of world of air travel saved me and my dog-tired laptop visits to over a hundred different travel-related websites. One for Anna Banana, who has graciously volunteered to communicate with my friends and coordinate my California visitation schedule, To a friend who, even as we speak, is probably fighting with a tape meausre to figure out the dimensions of her basement so that my children will live in thier own one-bedroom, carpeted apartment. Another for Alysia, who is logging in as me and turning my blog in to a veritable Classified Ad, Still another to Steph Reed, who birthed the concept of the benefit and is working her butt of to bring the idea to fruition, To the Carpenter's Tools, who have agreed to play one or two songs as a reunion special at the benefit (I'm pretty sure it took the most convincing to get my dad on board) which summons up some of my fondest childhood memories. To Jeremy & Kristin, who won't even be married for another six weeks, but have already adopted a sick child. To Danna, who sends me an email virtually daily with a new proposal of how she and Bobby can help. To Nancy White, who called just to lend me some support but ended up breathing life into the words of a book I've been reading ("There's No Place Like Hope," by Vickie Girard') given to me by one "Coach Pie" who bought me the book that, less than 20 pages in, has already transformed me (she even offered to sit and read it to me if my eyes got too bad). To amazing co-workers who faithfully read, comment, and encourage despite the fact that they are authentic communicators and a blog can be quite one-sided. This list could go on for days.... To be continued!

8 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger Ashli Hepler said...

Thanks Colleen...for everything. You have been so encouraging on here. I read everything you write even though I don't always write back, I am constantly appreciative of how supportive you've been. Also, thanks for loaning Brad's computerized mind out to me. He fixed up the site so that I can keep track of how many people are reading and what parts of the world are tuning in.

 
At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pfft. That street vendor knows nothing of your determination.

Yes, thank you SO much for this blog-- I think I'd go insane otherwise. I'm too nosy not to know about what's going on. ^^ It almost makes up for having a substitute, even if there really isn't any substitute for actually talking to a person.

Take care,

Erin

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Ashli, do you get any sleep? All of your posts are in the early morning. You need to sleep my dear. I enjoy reading your blog and being updated, but I would rather have you be getting your rest. When I was having trouble sleeping my dr. gave me Lunesta. I don't know if that would interact with your other meds though. I only took 1/2 a pill and slept peacefully for 7 hours straight. It was wonderful!! You might as your doctor. OK, I'll stop lecturing you. I'm glad you had a great vacation!!
Love,
Danna

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Ms. H,
Im glad ur back even though I havent seen you yet. People say Ru got darker but I dont see it. The shirt was awsome that you or her or both of you picked out. Im glad you had a great time in Hawaii and just remember im a strong healthy man so....if you need help with packing and moving big heavy boxes im here 4 ya. And i cant hopefully wait til I get a chance to come to Cali this summer.
Your future son in-law
Pretty Ricky

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Kristin Baker said...

Ashli,

Glad to hear you got back safely. Like Patrice and Colleen, I am continually amazed at your tenacity and spirit in the midst of all of this. You have been such an inspiration to so many people. The other day, I was reading your blog right before the bell and two students said, "Oh, is that Ms. Hepler's? I don't really know her, but I read that too." I even had one say he just loves how you write, especially your "tone" and "voice"! (He learned something!) We (LA teachers) talk, worry, and pray for you often. I'd like to help out with the benefit. Let us know when you guys set the date.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger LoriCloud said...

There's no place like hope...it was an amazing book! I kind of shoved all of that away someplace in my head. I'm glad that someone had the wherewithall to give it to you. Maybe I am running away... and if that is the case, I'm sorry... don't mean to. My solution is a nightly Cosmopolitan with pink sugar...see, i'm a hideous friend. Glad you are back. Would have LOVED to see Corlissa's face in Hawaii :) LOVE YOU...i'll try to do better...trying to get through graduation this weekend--then hoping I return to 'normal'.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger crock said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger crock said...

hey Ash & crew - thought I'd share a link to my photos from Hawaii. It's my online album, but there are quite a few of Corlissa and couple of camera-shy Ashli. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?collid=165734256305&mode=fromsite&conn_speed=1&

 

Post a Comment

<< Home