Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Monday, May 29, 2006

On the Move

I've made some great headway this weekend. It looks like we may have a lead on a car for me to drive in California. I have a priority hold on a furnished apartment(I'm still not convinced I can't find a better deal, but unless something happens in the next two days, I'm going with it), I actually feel like I might be able to stop and speak to some people this week. It would be really nice to just enjoy these last few days in Elkhart (Okay..that looks ridiculous in print. Summer in Elkhart. Summer in California. I feel like a teenager again. It's all fine and good if it's your own idea, but if someone forces you to do it, well... that'a a whole other story, huh?)

Today is the first day I've actually been able to relax and not think about this move. Approximately 75% of my apartment is packed and ready to go. My mom came over yesterday and helped me pack up most of the kitchen. The only things left in our cupboards are dishes and the food we plan to eat in the next two weeks. This morning Nicki (Ms. Homo) came over and helped me pack up my closet. All that remains are the clothes I'm packing in a suitcase to take with me to California and the shoes that Corlissa and I share (I just wasn't ready for the negotiations to begin yet today. This whole parental/sacrifical/unconditional love thing does not extend to shoes, right?).

I relaxed at the Rosts in the afternoon. All of the baseball coaches sat downstairs(probably belching and farting and talking about baseball). All of the volleyball coaches sat upstairs (no overt belching or farting) and talked about volleyball and social issues. We were actually only disrupted once when we learned that one of the boys relegated to the downstairs had plugged up the upstairs toliet. There was a great deal of finger-pointing, but no one has yet admitted their guilt. I learned that Scott Rost is not only dead sexy, but handy with a plunger. It was good to get back to some semblance of a familiar routine.

To my lovely students at Memorial. This week is my last week at school. I'm only here 1/2 days in the morning. Make sure you stop by and say farewell/"have a great summer!" I'm disappointed that I will not be able to attend the actual graduation ceremony (I lose three hours flying back, and the earliest I can get into the South Bend Airport is 10:35 PM) and many of your open houses. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot, but the bright side is that this whole thing is going to get me home in time for school next year!

That's it for now. I'll keep you posted.

1 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashli,

I have admired you from afar... literally. I'm always 10 feet over your head everywhere you walk at Memorial. No! I'm not the big guy in the sky! And No I don't watch all of the time. But I have that capability. You zoom past on your daily rounds as everyone does and we both say Hi! Many times I hear the Flip Flops way before you get here. I do zoom in occasionally to see which color of them you have on today. I always think WoW!! I gotta' get me a pair of those comfy Flops!! I notice the flop is louder than the flip when people walk by. Everyone is always on their way to some important business when they fly past here. So, I quietly wave at you all as you pass. I know that you know and that eveybody knows that I'm here for you if you ever need me.

Anywho, (that's a saying started in my teen days)I want to tell you my thoughts are with you as you travel to "California Here I Come!" I will be glad to "see" you scurring on your way through the school yelling Hi! this fall when you get back. Actually it will still be summer. Because of summer school at Memorial for the next two years, I am here until the end of the school year 2009 with out anytime off. Well, they did say everyone can have July 3rd and 4th off this year.

Someone told me about your blog 3 weeks ago. I've been slowly sifting through it and the comments for a while now trying to figure out how to write on it without actually signing up as a blog. Finally my independent, inteligent being inside said, "Just ask someone you know that has written on this thing." So I did.

I wish you well in Cali. Travel safe! I'll see you before you see me! I will pray for you everyday as I do for many people. I have added you to my list and will start my prayers as I always do. "God, you already know all the names on this list......" so on and so forth with lots of meaning so he can hear. At the end I ask him to please hurry and shorten this list. AMen!

I'll keep checking the "blog" to catch up on you and your kids.

(LITTLE) EYE IN THE SKY

(Some people call me Keeper of the Gate. But I think that reminds me of the keeper of H.E.double tooth picks. I like the other one better!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home