Nothing to Lose -- Redux

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Countdown

1 Day Down.... 39 To Go!

My first day of treatment is over. This is good becasue the first day of treatment is by far the absolute worst. In order to be sure that everything is correct and they are radiating the exact location of the tumor, they put you in the mask, get you in position for radiation, and do a final CT Scan. The doctor then checks the scan to be sure that the mask is fitting properly and that they are aiming the protons precisely at the tumor. It is my responsibiliy to remain perfectly still throughout this process. Not only is the mask tight and uncomfortable, I also have a bite block in my mouth that makes it difficult to breathe and swallow. After all this is done, they start radiation. I endured this for 1.5 hours today. It was probably the most difficult hour and a half of my life. I thought I was going to have a panic attack near the end, but I made it. They basically tell you all the things that can happen if you move even a muscle. I'm not sure if knowing that easier or more difficult to remain still.

I was originally told that my radiation appointment was at 2:00 PM. About one hour before radiation each day I will be getting a shot of Amnifosten (it preserves your salivary glands so that you don't lose your teeth). This shot often makes people nauseated. So, to combat the nausea, I have to take a pill called Kytril one hour before receiving the shot. Following all these timetalbes is pretty important. Well, I did my part. I took my Kytril at noon and Jeremy and I arrived at LLUMC at 12:45. We waited in the waiting room until 1:45. I was starting to worry that I was going to miss my radiation appointment. I spoke with the nurse and she told me that my treatment was not scheduled until 3:30 PM. Was I crazy? I know they told me 2:00 PM. Hey... I know I've been scattered lately, but I was careful to write all these appointments down. Sure enough, my calendar said 2:00 PM. Anyway...things were a little off as far as our timetables today. I don't think the additional wait time was ideal for a first-timer.

Regarding the treatment itself... I felt absolutely nothing during radiation. My stomach was a little queasy afterward (maybe a 2 on a scale of 10), but it is hard to know if that is because of the radiation, the shot, or the fact that I've had a migraine for two days straight. So far, my skin still looks normal and there is no visible burning. The doctor gave me a prescription for Radiagel, which is supposed to help prevent the burning.

From this point forward, treatment should be much smoother. Now that they've double-checked my mask and marked where they need to aim the radiation, I simply get into the mask and start treatment each day. It should take about 1/3 of the time it took today. I will probably actually be in and out within 30 minutes. YEAH!

That's it for tonight. I'm still alive and it is good to know that, instead of this tumor attacking me, we are now attacking it! BITE ME ADENOID CYSTIC CARCINOMA!

4 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Blogger crock said...

FINALLY!!! After all this craziness - treatment has started!!! I actually lol'd at your last line - the whole "bite me" thing - so the Ashli I know and love.
I truly hope that the time issues are solved. And so happy to hear that you didn't feel any real side-effects, that's an answer to prayer! I hope now that you'll start to feel some relief of the other symptoms of this stupid cancer!
I got a catalog from choosehope.org in the mail yesterday. Jordan was looking at it and said, "that's Ashli's shirt" when she saw the "Cancer Sucks" page. Too funny.
I know you've been told this a million times - but your strength and courage are inspiring too so many people.
I love you!
crock <><

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger AJLutz said...

HOORAY!!! One down!!! Let's keep clicking em off and you'll be home before you know it! See you Saturday!

Alysia

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your in an OK mood after treatment. I've had many CT and MRI scans. Just get into your "Happy Place" and keep telling yourself "I'm in my happy place! I'm in my happy place!" as the machine whirs and bleeps and knocks loudly. My happy place is in deep space exploring Galaxies far far away with Captain Kirk of the Space Ship Enterprise. That would be in his and my younger years.

Today is the last long day of finals for the students. As I scanned the halls, I learned 100 plus different ways to say goodbye to the first "Love of my Life" for the summer months. All of this before school started at 7:47. Today is also silly picture day. That would include but not be limited to four behinds bent over with hanging, upside down, smiling faces peeking between knees. Thank Heavens those behinds are covered!

Hang loose your being thought of today!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Ashli Hepler said...

Hmm... I really wish I knew who "Eye in the Sky" was.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home